Monday, August 16, 2010

Image and Identity in Conflict

“When you look in the mirror, what do you like best about yourself?”
* Mr. Holland's Opus

Are the outer you and the inner you compatible?

I recently read an article and took the quiz to define your personal image. The beginning of the quiz asked you to define your style type, they gave a list of five possible options, classic, chic, whimsical, bohemian, and avant-garde. At the end of the quiz you would find out your real style type.

I chose classic with a touch of bohemian. I then proceeded to take the quiz. At the end my score was 5 for classic, and 3 for bohemian. It then told me I was classic with a touch of bohemian! It has taken me a while to realize my style and match my image to my identity. Although I was able to do this on my own, the point of the article and quiz were right. Style is achieved when your image (external) is in harmony with your identity (internal).

So I will ask you how does your image project your identity?

While working with a client recently, she wondered if she should keep a jacket she had purchased that was very casual, and not fitting her right. I asked her if it was representing her and the image she wanted to portray. The answer was no, she bought it under peer pressure. When you shop do you have a direction? Or are you shopping for someone else’s image?

One great way to help define your image is to create a style file. Look through fashion catalogs, and magazines for inspiration. Clip outfits, and ideas you like and create your own personal style file. Remember to put together looks you like for all occasions, professional, casual, special occasion.

One thing to remember is you do not have to be defined by one style. If you remember my style type was classic with a touch of bohemian. This may not sound compatible, but it does work. Once you have defined your style and matched your image to your identity I will guarantee you will always look and feel confident.

I would love to help you define your image and create a wardrobe that projects that image in harmony with your identity.

1 comment: