Thursday, March 25, 2010

Who inspires you?

muse
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Middle French, from Latin Musa, from Greek Mousa
Date: 14th century
1 capitalized : any of the nine sister goddesses in Greek mythology presiding over song and poetry and the arts and sciences.
2 : a source of inspiration; especially : a guiding genius.

I grew up with some incredibly fashion forward women in my life that have helped shape my style today. These women are just a few of the “muses” that guide my journey in the world of fashion.

My grandma “Nana” was a hard working, strong, and talented woman. She came to this country alone at the age of 16. Armed with perseverance and speaking only Norwegian, she carved out quite a life for herself. This was my first glimpse into the world of fashion. Nana was a Furrier/Designer for Marshall Field in Chicago. She had a great bohemian like fashion sense. I think I developed my creative, artistic sense of style from her. Really, who else could make an entire family of girls wear crochet hot pants?!

My mom is a beautiful, strong, and smart woman who overcame the hardships in her life with grace and dignity. She spent her life as a “professional mom,” raising eight children in a “Yours, Mine and Ours” family. Even with the responsibility of eight children she always looked polished and put together. Her style was - and still is - classical and timeless.

As much my older sister Claudia, hated her name, when I was younger I thought it was so romantic! She is a natural beauty with an effortless sense of style. The big sister you would look up to and admire for her cool mini dresses, great hairstyles, and cute little sports car.

These women taught me the art of looking your best and doing it simply and effortlessly. I would like to pass this gift along to other women. Believe me, I’ve made many fashion mistakes along the way (after all I did grow up in the 70’s!) But I have come to grow comfortable in my own skin and my fashion sense.

This is my inspiration. I would like to help you become comfortable in your style, and be “Simply Your Best”

1 comment:

  1. Hi Renee,
    It's really interesting to hear of the "styling muses" and their influence in your life.
    I remember my grandmother and my aunts dressing so fashionable; gloves, silk stockings, hats, gorgeaous dresses. They would pack their trunks and go on fabulouse cruises on the Queen Mary. I wish we still had the style of the old days, our culture has lost that art. Growing up, I did not have any role models for fashion, perhaps since there were 5 girls in my family and hand me downs were common, or because we spent our summers in our bathing suits at the cabin, or because we wore school uniforms. I always felt a real lack of fashion sense. I think your skills and services are much needed for women like me to grow our confidence and so we can look nad feel our very best!

    ReplyDelete