Thursday, June 10, 2010

When in Rome…(or London and Paris): Fashion across the pond.

I just returned from a trip to England and France. It was great to get away and see fashion across the ocean. I started my fashion vacation in York, where we were fortunate to experience “The Races” (the local horse races in York is a very big spring event). York was overcome with racing fans of all ages and you could definitely tell that the fashionistas were out and about!

York had stepped it up a notch and all the women were dressed to kill: great summer dresses were the major theme (it was an unusually warm end of May in York). Of course hats, a race day must, were seen on most all discerning women. Maxi’s seemed to be the common thread that carried through my England visit.

London was full of fun fashion, with the 70’s inspired Maxi Dress being the item of the day (yes it was still unseasonably warm). Dresses seemed to be the dominant theme in my visit to England, which suited me just fine as my spring /summer wardrobe is all about the dress and skirt!

So my conclusion to part one of “Fashion Across the Pond?” The Maxi Dress for summer.

I’ve made the hunt a bit easier for you by finding some favorites online.

• Boden has a lovely Applique Maxi Dress
• Banana Republic represents well with the IKAT Knotted Halter, perfect summer sun dress
• Gap checks in with a youthful,fun, affordable Vintage Floral Maxi
• Old Navy has a very inexpensive (great to try the trend) “Surplus Drawstring Maxi, and $19 Maxi skirt
• Ann Taylor Loft has a pretty Silk Maxi that is now 50% off
• Anthropologie rounds it out with a very beautiful, but expensive Endless Skies Maxi Dress

So take a fun trend tip from our British friends and try a Maxi for summer.

Watch for my next blog about another England adventure: the Spitalfield and Portabella Markets.

No comments:

Post a Comment